Upcoming Test Dates
- June 15, 2019
- July 20, 2019
- August 10, 2019
- August 17, 2019
- August 24, 2019
Additional dates will be posted throughout the year.
Typically, only one ELPE Registration date is open at a time.
Please fill out the ELPE Exam Registration Form
Once registered, you must print your admission ticket and bring it with you in order to check in for your exam. The time of your Oral exam will be printed on your admission ticket. You will not be allowed to test if you do not have your admission ticket.
Fees: Oral Skills Assessment - $45.00
Fees will be charged to your student account; therefore, no payment is required prior to testing. Please be aware that once registered you will be billed for the exam even if you are unable to test.
Oral Skills Assessment
The Oral Skills Assessment has the following features:
1) The Assessment is conducted by a panel of two to three trained people.
2) The interview takes about ten minutes.
3) The interviewers have pre‑session training to ensure common standards.
There are three segments to the Oral Skills Assessment
- A short reading passage from a text from the student’s major.
- A brief (ten minute or less) lecture on a subject derived from an introductory textbook in the student’s major. Students are given an extract from the text and given twenty minutes to prepare.
- A short question and answer period on a topic chosen by the student from a list of possible topics (such as favorite film, a location near home they enjoy, etc.)
The criterion for this Assessment is whether the panel can understand what the person is saying. Because the raters are not subject matter experts, the accuracy of what the person says does not matter, just whether they can be understood without difficulty. The purpose of each section is to elicit samples of the student’s speaking. To an extent, the more the student talks, the easier it is for the raters to make an evaluation.