College Level Exam Program (CLEP) exams are offered for students who want to earn college credit. Any of the tests offered by the CLEP program may be taken at our center but only the following exams earn credit at Texas A&M University:
- American Government
- College Algebra
- Financial Accounting
- U.S. History I
- U.S. History II
- Human Growth and Development
- Information Systems
- Macroeconomics, Principles of
- Microeconomics, Principles of
- Psychology, Introductory
- Sociology, Introductory
- Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648
- Western Civilization II: 1648 to Present
Note: Students wishing to 'retest' must wait 3 months from prior exam date to retake the same exam.
Exam takers will need to register with our office to schedule a date and time to take the exam and pay the registration fee. You can do this over the phone or by visiting our office.
Prior to your scheduled exam, you must create an account at collegeboard.org, select the CLEP exam you wish to take, and pay the $85.00* exam fee. You will receive a voucher with a ticket number that you must bring to the test center on the day of the exam in order for staff to access your exam.
Texas A&M students: The total fee for the CLEP exam is $120.00*. There is a $35.00 registration fee due at the time of registration. There is an exam fee of $85.00* which you will pay at collegeboard.org.
Non Texas A&M students: The total fee is $135.00*. There is a $50.00 fee due at the time of registration. There is an exam fee of $85.00* which you will pay at collegeboard.org.
*Exam fee will be $89.00 beginning July 1, 2019. Total fees will increase by $4.00 at that time, making them $124.00 and $139.00 respectively.
On the day of the test you should report to the General Services Complex, Suite 1101, 15 minutes prior to your scheduled test session. In addition, you must provide one of the following forms of identification: a driver's license, passport, Texas Department of Public Safety identification card, or current alien resident's card to be admitted to the test. Your identification must be an unexpired, government issued photo ID with a signature. A student ID is not an acceptable ID for this test.
CLEP exams are 90 minutes in length.
You will receive an unofficial score report at the completion of your exam. Official scores will post to your student record approximately a week from your exam date. If you are eligible to receive course credit based on your exam score, you will need to follow the steps listed on howdy.tamu.edu under My Record/Credit by Examination to claim credit. Your scores must have been posted on your student record before you can claim credit.
- Students may not receive credit by exam for courses that are prerequisites to courses for which they already have credit except with the approval of the department authorizing the examination. (Student Rule 8.4.10)
- Students may not have credit posted for Credit by examination for a course in which he or she is currently registered or has acquired a grade other than Q, WP, or NG. (Student Rule 8.4.4)
- Students who previously excluded a course grade under the Freshman Grade Exclusion Policy are not eligible to receive CLEP credit for that course.
Accepting CLEP Credit:
To accept credit for CLEP, log in to the Howdy portal using your NET ID and password and navigate to the My Record tab - Grades and Transcripts - “Credit by Examination.” After clicking on the link, follow the instructions for claiming credit. If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to call us at 979-845-0532.